|Subject: [Neutron] Mechanical Engineer|
|From: "Barker, Buffie M." |
|Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:55:24 -0400|
|To: "email@example.com" |
The Neutron Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) invites applications for a Mechanical Engineer. With the United States’ highest flux reactor-based neutron source for condensed matter research (the High Flux Isotope Reactor) and the world's most intense pulsed, accelerator-based neutron source (the Spallation Neutron Source), ORNL is becoming the world's foremost center for neutron science. Research at these facilities encompasses the physical, chemical, materials, biological, and medical sciences and will provide opportunities for up to 2000 researchers each year from industry, research facilities, and universities all over the world. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
This position will serve as the SNS/RAD HEBT/Ring/RTBT Systems Lead Operations Engineer and will be responsible for operation, installation, testing and commissioning of mechanical systems that reside in the High Energy Beam Transport (HEBT), accumulator Ring, and the Ring to Target Beam Transport (RTBT). Provide engineering, technical and administrative expertise during the changes of configuration and operations of these systems. Supervise activities of Technicians and Research Mechanics performing maintenance or other work on the systems. Incumbent will be responsible for day-today operation and performance of the HEBT/Ring/RTBT Mechanical systems.
The successful candidate will be responsible for or participate in:
• Responsible for operation, installation, testing, availability, and commissioning of HEBT/Ring/RTBT Systems
• Insure that needed spares are on hand
• Insure that all documentation is up to date
• The preparation and development of system requirements specifications and other related documentation.
• The preparation, review and approval of technical documentation in support of the procurement of parts and equipment.
• The preparation and development of integrated installation test, and commissioning plans for changes to the systems
• The review of designs and other documentation relative to the systems.
• The oversight of manufacturers during the fabrication of components and equipment; reviewing and approving manufacturing plans and other vendor documentation, monitoring quality and witnessing of acceptance tests at the vendors premises.
• The technical support and oversight during the assembly, installation, testing, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of relevant systems.
• Identification of R&D activities needed to support system operations and upgrades.
• The development of budgets, schedules and plans in support of systems operation and development and implementing of these plans within budgetary and schedule constraints.
• The oversight of Vacuum Technicians and Research Mechanics in all matters related to system installation and operations.
• Compliance with environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements, including ISMS.
• Maintenance of a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
A BS degree in engineering or a related technical field with a least 5 years experience in the design, construction and operation of mechanical systems, hardware, and related control and data acquisition systems or an equivalent combination of both education and experience. Prior experience with cooling systems, Ultra High Vacuum, Electro- magnets, Beam Diagnostics, radiation environments and component alignment would be a plus. Prior experience in the managing of technicians and subcontractors responsible for fabricating, installing commissioning and operating mechanical systems is desired. The candidate must have excellent written and verbal communications skills, be computer literate and proficient using program such as Word, Excel, Microsoft Project and MathCAD etc., and able to perform vacuum systems analysis and have a working knowledge in heat transfer and stress analysis.
Mechanical drafting/modeling experience using AutoCAD and/or Pro-E preferred.
To apply for this position: http://jobs.ornl.gov