|Subject: [Neutron] Mechanical Design Engineer|
|From: "Barker, Buffie M." |
|Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:00:10 -0500|
|To: "email@example.com" |
The Neutron Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) invites applications for a Mechanical Design Engineer. With the United States’ highest flux reactor-based neutron source for condensed matter research (the High Flux Isotope Reactor) and the world's most intense pulsed, accelerator-based neutron source (the Spallation Neutron Source), ORNL is becoming the world's foremost center for neutron science. Research at these facilities encompasses the physical, chemical, materials, biological, and medical sciences and will provide opportunities for up to 2000 researchers each year from industry, research facilities, and universities all over the world. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The selected applicant will provide design engineering services for mechanical components of the SNS target and accelerator systems. As such the applicant is responsible for performing the conceptual and detail design of assigned components, supplying supporting technical documents, and providing technical oversight during their fabrication and installation. Candidate should have experience in the design of a variety of mechanical components, mechanisms, electro-mechanical devices, heat transfer systems, as well as a familiarity with manufacturing and assembly methods for these systems.
• Provides project design concepts
• Directs, reviews, and approves CAD models and drawings on assigned systems.
• Performs basic structural, thermal, and thermohydraulic analysis and directs, reviews, and approves detailed finite element analysis performed by specialized engineering analysts
• Interacts with nuclear engineers to optimize the nuclear performance of the assigned components.
• Provides requirements for and participates in R&D that supports design activities including prototyping of technical equipment.
• Produces accurate and concise technical reports.
• Prepares presentations for, and responses to recommendations from, technical design reviews and advisory committees.
• Contributes to cost and schedule estimates
• Proactively identifies and ensures timely resolution of critical issues.
• Accurately and reliably communicates technical status and performance to engineering and project managers, and participants in reviews by outside agencies.
• Accountable for compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
• Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL values and ethics.
BS in engineering or science (MS preferred) and a minimum of 5 years experience in design and analysis of complex engineering problems, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Candidate must have a sound understanding of mechanical design principles, structural mechanics, thermodynamics, fluids, heat transfer, and materials. Experience in the design of pressure and vacuum vessels, high heat flux components, and/or remote handling equipment is desirable. Candidate should have the ability to quickly grasp complex technical problems, have experience in leading a project through completion, and possess the communication skills both written and verbal necessary to function in a lead role. The candidate should have experience in the use of a 3D CAD program (ProE preferred) and be able to perform basic finite element analysis.
To apply for this position: http://jobs.ornl.gov